CPFAQ: Making a Wiki Look Like Wikipedia

Lua

I’m working on a project this year to build a competitive programming FAQ. This is one in a series of articles describing the research, writing, and tool creation process. To read the whole series, see my CPFAQ category page.

I mentioned last week that I was creating a glossary of competitive programming terms, in the format used by glossaries on Wikipedia. This week, I made the necessary changes to CPWiki to properly render the glossary.

« Continue »

CPFAQ: Defining Competitive Programming Terms

Dictionary

I’m working on a project this year to build a competitive programming FAQ. This is one in a series of articles describing the research, writing, and tool creation process. To read the whole series, see my CPFAQ category page.

It would be useful to have a page in the FAQ for a glossary of competitive programming terms. The Q&A part of the FAQ and the associated wiki discuss terms in detail, but a glossary provides an easy way to look up short definitions of terms that appear in questions and answers. This week, I started to collect a list of terms.

« Continue »

CPFAQ: Unicode in Quora Question Titles

Quotation Marks

I’m working on a project this year to build a competitive programming FAQ. This is one in a series of articles describing the research, writing, and tool creation process. To read the whole series, see my CPFAQ category page.

As I have mentioned in the past, I often use Excel as a quick way to manipulate tables of data, even when that data doesn’t involve numbers and formulas. My Quora tools output data in TSV format, which is easy to import into Excel. But I noticed when importing those files that some question titles have strange characters mixed in with the valid ones, due to an encoding issue. I have been ignoring it until now, but I’d like to fix it.

« Continue »